Ticket #959 (closed defect: fixed)

Opened 9 years ago

Last modified 9 years ago

cave resolve -r '*/*' -l '*/*' '!lzma-utils' dies horribly

Reported by: jmanig Owned by:
Priority: Sometime Milestone:
Component: clients/paludis Version: 0.52.0
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked By: Blocking:
Distribution: Gentoo

Description

See attached, including cave info.

Attachments

cave bug report Download (36.6 KB) - added by jmanig 9 years ago.
failure output + cave info
cave lzma-utils part 2 Download (11.4 KB) - added by jmanig 9 years ago.

Change History

Changed 9 years ago by jmanig

failure output + cave info

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by ciaranm

I fixed something that looks a lot like this earlier today. Can you try git head and confirm that it's fixed please?

comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by jmanig

Unfortunately I'm in a corporate environment behind a firewall and git-syncing doesn't seem to work, but I'll see if I can work something out.

comment:3 Changed 9 years ago by ciaranm

  • Status changed from new to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed

The fix for what I think this is is in 0.52.2. Please reopen if that doesn't fix it.

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by jmanig

It's fixed now. Thanks a lot, and great work.

Changed 9 years ago by jmanig

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by jmanig

Quick question though... is it normal for cave resolve -U -r -l -d -o '!lzma-utils' to block on lzma-utils? See attachement #2.

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by ciaranm

Probably, yes. Add -X lzma-utils. You'll likely see that some packages explicitly require it.

comment:7 Changed 9 years ago by jmanig

I think you mean -W 'lzma-utils'. -X just gave me a better explanation of the block. -W actually cleared it.

BTW, I think you have the help text of -w (--with) and -W (--withtout) reversed in both cave help resolve and man cave-resolve. If you want I can file a new bug for it.

comment:8 Changed 9 years ago by ciaranm

The help for -w and -W is the right way around. However, if you're doing blockers rather than installs, the opposite of what you might expect happens. It's best to experiment with things like resolve world -W thingthatwouldotherwisebeupgraded -w thingthatwouldotherwisenotbeupgraded to see.

I did mean -X. There was probably something in the better explanation that would have explained that something else was requiring lzma-utils, and your block with -l was telling it that it couldn't take the installed version, so it was telling you that it couldn't come up with an answer.

Unfortunately, the power of the constraints-based decision system is that if you're trying to do something clever with it, you have to know how it works, and right now -l is classed as something clever...

comment:9 Changed 9 years ago by jmanig

Ah, I see what you meant now. The first time I read your sentence, I thought "it" referred to the -X flag, not lzma-utils. I love your new resolver, but I'm still in the "getting to learn how to use it" phase. :)

Anyway, thanks for fixing the bug, and thanks for taking the time to explain to me what's going on.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.