Ticket #129 (new enhancement)
Safe Upgrading / Removal Support
|Reported by:||ciaranm||Owned by:||ciaranm|
Upgrading packages is dangerous. Paludis does not check before uninstalling or upgrading a .so file that that .so file is not required.
This project, as we see it currently, consists of:
- Handling needed .so files upon upgrades. This can be done by reparenting files to the upgraded package rather than removing them.
- Warning before uninstalling a package that provides in-use .so files.
- Lots of unit tests.
Problems to solve:
- How to check for needed .so files, and reasonably quickly.
- How to support dependencies that aren't .so files.
- How to avoid leaving lots of cruft around for ages.
You may have better ideas than we do about how to solve this. Feel free to discuss ideas with us on IRC before submitting proposals.