Ticket #127 (closed enhancement: fixed)
|Reported by:||ciaranm||Owned by:||ciaranm|
Paludis could use a web client. Take a look at http://packages.gentoo.org/ . Think how much more useful it could be. Think how much more information it could provide. Think about how much easier it could be to browse and search. Then implement it.
You will probably want to use the Ruby interface rather than the native C++. You will need to consider:
- Static versus dynamic versus dynamic plus cached page generation.
- Raw CGI? Rails? Something else?
- Security implications.
You may also want to consider:
- Should it also support showing packages that are installed on the local system? Will this be useful for remote admin or largely pointless?
- Is there any sane way of using this for remote admin? Is installing things remotely via a web interface useful or an extremely bad idea? How will security be managed? How about locking?
- Searching. How can this be made to give most useful results? How can it give the most powerful querying capabilities? How can it be fast?